I am an associate professor at the Department of Industrial Engineering, The Iby and Aladar Fleischman Faculty of Engineering, Tel Aviv University, and the co-director of the IWiT Lab. I currently serve as the proud head of the undergraduate program in Industrial Engineering and Management.
Previously I was a visiting associate professor at Cornell Tech, and a post-doctoral fellow at Carnegie Mellon University. My Ph.D. is from the Technion – Israel Institute of Technology.
I am also a member of the Privacy Protection Council in Israel’s Ministry of Law and a founding member of Privacy Israel – a new non-profit for the promotion of privacy in Israel.
Eran advises global companies, government agencies, and non-profits in areas related to data protection, privacy, behavior analysis, and cybersecurity.
- Privacy engineering: Developing and assessing new methods to design and build systems that respect people’s privacy
- Usable privacy and security: Information privacy, privacy in social networks, privacy in mobile and pervasive computing, privacy in genetic databases
- Human-computer interaction: Interaction with mobile computing, the physical context of interaction, interruptive computing, AI methods for HCI
- Human-AI interaction: Analyzing patterns of interactions between humans and Artificial Intelligence (especially systems that include important Machine Learning components)
Please take a look at the group’s publications.
- Less is More: Addressing Mobile Application Security and Privacy through Debloating, Singapore’s National Cybersecurity R&D and Israel National Cyber Directorate ($235,000). 2022-2024.
- Data Science Competitive Grant, The Council for Higher Education in Israel ($968,000). 2022-2026.
- Cyber-Nudging: Incentive Systems and Choice Architectures for Organizational Security, ICRC – Blavatnik Interdisciplinary Cyber Research Center ($74,000). 2021-2023.
- Safety and Privacy of Mobile Applications through Model Inference, ICRC – Blavatnik Interdisciplinary Cyber Research Center ($800,000), with Dr. Eran Tromer, Prof. Shahar Maoz, Prof. David Lo, and Prof. Debin Gao. 2017-2020.
- Design and operation of a crowd-sourced package delivery system, Israel Ministry of Science infrastructure grant ($290,000), with Prof. Tzur and Prof. Raviv. 2016-2019.
- Privacy-Aware Cyber-Security, Israel Ministry of Science-Italy Cooperation ($227,000), with Dr. Shmueli (TAU), Prof. Bettini (Milan) and Prof. Lepri (FBK). 2016-2018.
- Reconciling Purpose, Data Privacy, and User Preferences, U.S. DARPA ($1,800,000), with Prof. Agrawal and Prof. Jason Hong (both from Carnegie Mellon University). 2016-2020.
- Smart Cities Cyber Security, ICRC – Blavatnik Interdisciplinary Cyber Research Center ($120,000), with Prof. Michael Birenhack, Dr. Tali Hatuka, and Prof. Issi Rosen- Zvi. 2015-2017.
- Guiding and Incentivizing Cyber-Security Behavior, ICRC – Blavatnik Interdisciplinary Cyber Research Center ($100,00). 2015-2017.
- Privacy.US, EU Horizon 2020 Marie Sklodowska-Curie Innovative Training Network (512,000 Euro), with Prof. Michael Birenhack and Prof. Joachim Meyer. 2015-2019.
- User-Oriented Security: A Multi-Disciplinary Approach, Cyber Security Grant at Israel’s Prime Minister Office ($248,000), with Prof. Irad Ben-Gal, Prof. Joachim Meyer, and Dr. Tal Raviv. 2012-2015.
- Privacy by Design – The Human-Machine Interaction and the Legal Interface, Israel Science Foundation – ISF ($185,000), with Prof. Michael Birenhack and Dr. Irit Hadar. 2012-2015.
- Learning Mobility Patterns (2011), Israel’s Ministry of Science ($361,000), with Prof. Boaz Lerner and Prof. Irad Ben-Gal. 2012-2015.
- Human-AI Interaction (Tel Aviv University, Spring 2021)
- Data Science in the Wild (Cornell Tech: Spring 2019)
- Data Privacy (Tel Aviv University: Fall 2012, Fall 2013, Fall 2015)
- Big Data Engineering (Tel Aviv University: Spring 2011, Spring 2013, Spring 2014, Spring 2015, Spring 2016, Spring 2017, Spring 2020, Spring 2021)
- Information Systems Engineering (Tel Aviv University: Fall 2012, Fall 2013, Fall 2014, Fall 2015)
- Research Methods in Human-Computer Interaction (Tel Aviv University: Fall 2011, Spring 2012, Spring 2013, Spring 2014, Spring 2016, Spring 2020, Fall 2021)
- Analysis and Specification of Information Systems (Technion: 2004-2008)
- Program committee member: CHI (2019, 2020, 2021, 2022), SOUPS (2021), Ubicomp (2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022), ICIS (2018), WWW (2017) etc etc.
- Founder and chair of the Israeli ACM SIGCHI local chapter, Special Interest Group for Computer-Human Interaction at the Association for Computing Machinery – ACM (since 2012)
- Founder and conference chair, the First Israel Conference for Human-Computer Interaction – IsraHCI (2013, 2015, 2018)
- Associate editor of the ACM Interactive, Mobile, Wearable and Ubiquitous Technologies (IMWUT) (Since 2016)
- Associate editor of Frontiers of Human-Computer Interaction (2014-2018)
- Member of the Council for the Protection of Privacy, Ministry of Justice, Israel (since March 2015)
- Board member (representative of the public) at the Tnufa Startup Fund, Israel Innovation Authority (June 2013 – September 2017)
You can reach me at:
Twitter: @erant and LinkedIn profile.